Friday, April 11, 2014

J is for the Jungle Book

I swear I will run out of musicals real soon.
Like, right now. Promise.

J is for the Jungle Book (or, as we say it, Dzsungel Könyve, but Dzs was already taken), which on top of being a Kipling classic, is also a Hungarian musical, first released in 1996, which makes it the music of my childhood.
The story is the same, more or less, so not many surprises there. The music, on the other hand, is delightful. My favorite song is generally known as "Monkey Funky" and I have repeatedly used it as a theme song for various monkey tricksters in my storytelling work:

(Note: For extra laughs, turn on the English captions. The entire song is just a series of puns, and the translation is obviously the courtesy of Google Translate...)

Another crowd favorite is the song of the vultures, who apparently run a funeral home business:


And here is a dark and lovely little song sung by Shere Khan who is riling the wolves up for murder:


Bonus note: Péter Geszti, our very own (desperately white) punster rapper wrote the puntastic lyrics to the monkey song (which he also sings) among other hits; he also happens to be the voice of Sid the Sloth in Ice Age.

4 comments:

  1. Hiya! I had no idea Hungary had a Jungle Book musical. It sounds really entertaining.

    LittleCely from LittleCely's Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! :) It's about impossible to translate because of the puns, but it is very enjoyable :)

      Delete
  2. I'm going to have these tunes in my head all day . . . thanks for a new (to me) experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. o.o .... I'm going to need a little while to process that.

    ReplyDelete