Saturday, April 12, 2014

K is for Kontroll, one of the few Hungarian movies of international fame

I'll say this up front: Kontroll is actually a darn good movie.
I wanted to say it because I have been feeding ya'll all kinds of Hungarian weirdness lately, but today, we talk about something that we are all very much proud of, and not because it makes foreigners twitch. 

This film came out in 2003, directed by Antal Nimród, the same guy who also did Predators. (Fun fact: He has a cameo in the first Machete film. He even speaks Hungarian in it.)
The movie was filmed entirely in the Budapest subway system. Its official description is "comedy-thriller" but it has been called many things, from action to film noir. The easiest way to describe it is that it is a story about people on the subway, both ticket inspectors and travelers, and some daredevils who like to race the subway trains (that actually happens from time to time, they don't always win). There is a lot of symbolism, a lot of situation comedy, a lot of weird funny characters, and a lot of cameos from everyday occurrences that are familiar to everyone who travels on the Budapest subway.
Definitely worth a watch, and not hard to find online.

5 comments:

  1. I actually really want to see that now. o.o And I don't usually enjoy watching movies

    ReplyDelete
  2. The trailer and your description make me want to see the movie. It seems really interesting and I love learning these type of tidbits about other countires.

    LittleCely from LittleCely's Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weird, gritty looking. One of my worst travel experiences was being ticketed by two very mean Russian controllers, before I got a chance to buy a ticket.

    Maui Jungalow

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am putting it on my watch list. I am always looking for a good film that may not be well known.

    ReplyDelete