Thursday, April 17, 2014

O is for the Owl with the copper d*ck

Yeah, you read that right.
(oh, slight ADULT CONTENT, by the way.)

Here is an image from an art exhibition that portrayed some of the weirdest Hungarian sayings in their literal rendering (yes, that's a door handle):


This folklore gemstone is our version of the Boogeyman. One of many, actually. The Hungarian term, rézfaszú bagoly, means exactly what it says in the title.
Would you like to hear the explanation behind the copper appendage?
Too bad, there is none.

The full saying states "Vigyen el a rézfaszú bagoly" which means "May the owl with the copper dick take you away." I am not sure why, where, or what comes after, but I definitely would not wish it on my enemies.

Something tells me we will not see this particular creature of legend in Rise of the Guardians anytime soon. Even though it would be epic.

6 comments:

  1. http://magyar-irodalom.elte.hu/prae/pr/200106/27.html
    third poem ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol this is a good one. It just seem like a really random phrase. It Mexico though our bogey man is called "el Coco" which means cocunut but children are terrified of the thing and no one knows what it looks like.

    LittleCely's Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Too bad, there is none" - That just made me snort with laughter!

    If you'll excuse me, I'm headed to your other blog to see if it's just as comical.

    Elsie
    AJ's wHooligan in the A-Z Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being taken away by an owl with a copper...appendage...sounds frightening enough without further explanation, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, it's arguably an owl with a brass appendage. Hungarian "réz" can be both copper ("vörösréz", literally "red copper") or brass ("sárgaréz", literally "yellow copper").

    ReplyDelete
  6. Strange and whimsical. I think I'll pass on seeing a real one.

    Maui Jungalow

    ReplyDelete