Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Z is for Zanzibar, and ending on a musical note

So, there are a bunch of semi-serious and serious words starting with a Z that I could use for my very last A to Z post this year... But I have not been very serious so far, so I am not going to start now. Instead, I'll just throw some Hungarian music at you, hoping to get you hooked and make you stay around after April. See if that works.
Zanzibar is a Hungarian pop/rock band founded in 1999, and on top of them providing music for my teenage angst (which, me being a late bloomer, did not happen until college), they also have one of the most adorable founding stories. The group consists of four guys, and a female lead singer, Rita, who was originally a cop. On January 1st, 1999, she pulled over a car full of post-New-Years-Eve guy musicians, who declared her their new lead singer then and there. She let them go; the next day they ran into her at a bar, where she was catching up on new year's partying and singing a Janis Joplin song. That time, they were serious about the offer, and she became the raspy female singing voice that marks all their songs.
You will find a bunch of music videos is you search for them on YouTube, so I'll only post a random one here.
 

4 comments:

  1. That really is an endearing story. =) I've enjoyed your Hungarian posts this month so I will definitely continue to visit. (n_n)b

    LittleCely's Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great story. Thanks for your zany stories and for being a co-minion with me this year :)
    Jemima
    Blogging from Alpha to Zulu in April

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome story!
    Congrats on finishing!

    Maui Jungalow

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great story! If only it was that easy to get out of a ticket all the time. :)

    ReplyDelete