Monday, May 18, 2015

MopDog Monday: Blood, Carnage and... Children's Rhymes?!

Today the MopDog is participating in the Blood, Boobs and Carnage Blogfest! It is a blog hop hosted by Ninja Captain Alex J. Cavanaugh and Heather M. Gardner. Participating blogs are supposed to post today about books, movies, shows etc. within the topic of... well, Blood, Boobs, and Carnage (or any combination of the three).
In a fortuitous turn of events, I already promised last Monday that I would post about Hungarian children's rhymes and songs, and it just so happens that many of them fit at least one of the three. Thus, my topic is music.
If you want to visit the other participants, you can find the Linky list HERE.

Hungarian children's rhymes are often horribly violent. This is one of those things that you don't realize until much later, when you are an adult, and the damage has already been done. Most people, when they get a sample of the children's rhymes of my early years, usually react with "That explains so much!" (I don't know if I should be offended).
For example:
(Titles link to YouTube videos where you can listen to she songs and watch whimsical animations)

Laybug fly away
The Turks are coming
They will put you in a well full of salt
And then they will take you out
They will put you under a wheel
And take you out of there too
The Turks are coming
And they will shoot you dead.

Stork, Stork, why is your leg bloody?
A Turkish child cut it,
A Hungarian child is healing it,
With pipes, and drums, and fiddles.

Snail, Snail, come out,
Your house is on fire
You'll get milk and butter
Enough to have some left tomorrow.

Snail, Snail, push your horns out
If you don't, I'll smash your house.

Little Squirrel, Little Squirrel,
Climbed up a tree
It fell down and broke its leg.
Doctor, don't heal him,
Squirrels are mischievous, he'll just climb up again.

Little Cow, Little Cow, of Many Colors,
Doesn't have ears or tail,
We'll go to live where we can buy milk.

Little Cow, Little Cow, has a cold,
We made pants for her,
But the pants were too small, and the cow was sick.

Little Cow, Little Cow, has a cold,
We made pants for her,
She didn't want to put them on, so we had to chase her home.

And after all the carnage, here is one that fits the "boobs" category... Kinda. It is usually sung by kindergardeners as they form gates in pairs and the others file through.

Hide, hide, green switch, 
Little green leaf,
The golden gates are open,
You can go right in.
Go in, go in,
The barn comes crashing down,
The barn comes crashing down,
The cat gets trapped inside.

Yuuup. You can analyze that last one on your own.

For more boob-related postings, check out my other participating blog, the Multicolored Diary.

24 comments:

  1. A lot of violence and perversity in these ditties. Actually a lot of the old fairy tales and nursery rhymes have a lot seemingly frightening imagery, but kids love that stuff. I know I did when I was little.

    Arlee Bird
    A to Z Challenge Co-host
    Road trippin' with A to Z
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that some nursery rhymes have a dark and twisted angle. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the one with the pants! Silly cow, why didn't she put them on? And my mind is going to weird and scary places with that last one... :O

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so strange that nursery rhymes have dark meanings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very Nice... disturbing too... nice job. I can dig it!

    Jeremy [THE WOLF]
    Howlin' Wolf Records: On-Line Magazine

    ReplyDelete
  6. How bizarre are those?!?! What we do to our children!

    THANK YOU for joining Alex and me in this EPIC blogfest!
    Heather M. Gardner

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember when I learned children rhymes are waaaaaay darker than I knew when I was little. Totally blew my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! those were sick, twisted, and awesome! it sorta makes ring-around-the-rosie seem dull in comparison. that's only about the black plague. yours are definitely more violent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are scary. Reminds me of the Ring Around the Rosy one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. The Brothers Grimm have nothing on these verses! As Diane says: scary!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They remind me of Grimms' Fairy Tales. People in bygone centuries didn't think children were these innocent little glass flowers who'd fall apart if their worlds weren't all rainbows and kittens.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, those are some pretty chilling nursery rhymes! I'm sensing some animosity toward the Turks. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. OML! You made me laugh, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! that's...I'm speechless. The Hungarians are fighters apparently :)

    I'm also here to say I am giving you the Liebster Blog Award because you rock!
    Please check the below link to know the process to accept the award and display on your blog.
    http://haneenwrites.blogspot.com/2015/05/tosod-and-award-goes-to.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Seems like a lot of children's poems and stories are pretty dark.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That snail one sounded relatively innocent (there's a similar one in the U.S.)... until that last line!! Yikes!!

    -Alex Hurst

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i dont understand why the cow didn't like the pants. maybe she wanted a skirt?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, I guess I've never thought about nursery rhymes portraying violence before. The ones you presented are eerie! What a neat take on the Blood, Boobs and Carnage 'fest. Very cool.
    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nursery rhythms are violent. I remember the one Rock a-bye Baby....when the bough breaks the cradle will fall and down will come cradle baby and all. I never, ever thought about that little verse until after I had kids and it made me shutter because it wasn't all that peaceful. lol

    ReplyDelete
  21. Something new information I've found in you blog. Very interesting. I like this blog and I will look forward to reading more

    ReplyDelete