Monday, June 22, 2015

MopDog Monday: Our pea soup is not like your pea soup

I tried to explain Hungarian pea soup to my boyfriend today and I failed. Thus, I shall write a blog post about it.

When I Google "pea soup" in English, I get this:
Frankly, I don't even know what this is supposed to be.

When I Google "pea soup" in Hungarian, this is what comes up:
This is what God intended pea soup to look like. 
Obviously.

Ours is also known as "sugar pea soup" and it includes a lot of sugar (how did this not take off in America?). First you caramelize sugar in a pot, and then pour water in it, and add peas and carrots and scallions and other vegetables to your taste. Then, when it has all cooked through, you add parsley and salt and other spices you like.

Then comes the squishy part.

You mix melted butter and eggs in a mug, and add flour until the dough sticks together, but still moves around in the mug with ease. Then you take a spoon and cut smaller pieces out of the dough as you are slowly pouring it over the soup. The pieces fall into the soup and cook in a few minutes into squishy, cloud-shaped little floaty pieces. They add substance to the soup, and they taste delicious. They also have a Hungarian name (vajgaluska) which is best translated as "soft buttery squishy pieces that float in pea soup."

You're welcome.

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE PEA SOUP! My mom makes homemade pea soup and its a combination of the two pictures you showed.

    Sugar in soup? Where can I get a bowl? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that makes it a sweet pea soup XD

      Delete
  2. Hungarian pea soup looks much better than the pea soup I serve at the day job. It sounds like you put dumplings in them. Let's face it, dumplings make everything better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, dumpling is probably the most accurate translation :D

      Delete
  3. I know what I am going to be making for supper tomorrow night sans the sugar. I know we are sugar crazy in the United States but I can't imagine it making soup taste good. But them little dumplings sound fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't really taste the sugar in the final result, although I am sure that the flavor would be different without it. It doesn't taste sweet is what I'm saying :D

      Delete