Monday, January 25, 2016

MopDog Monday: Does your dog call you Mom?

One thing that constantly trips me up about English-speaking pet owners is that they don't have a pet-specific term of affection. In addition, in cases like me and my family where the pet talks back, they don't have a word for that either.
(Other than "possibly crazy")
I keep hearing people refer to pets as their "babies," and hearing pets refer to their owners as "Mom," "Dad," and "Grandma." No matter how much I try, I just can't get used to that - because I feel like there is a word missing. A word that does exist in Hungarian.

Therefore, I would like to use today's post to introduce the English-speaking world to an extremely useful term:
GAZDI

Gazdi is a pet-specific word for pet owners. It is a nickname derived from the word "gazda" which means "owner" (also means "farmer" in certain contexts, but that's another story). While "gazda" can be applied to various things and inanimate objects, "gazdi" specifically refers to owners of pets.
In Hungarian, if you talk to your dog and your dog talks back - in a voice that sounds suspiciously like yours except higher/lower pitched -, your dog will most likely call you "gazdi" and not "Mom."

Go ahead, give it a spin. See how it feels. Flaunt your knowledge of unique Hungarian vocabulary ("It's an old Hungarian term, impossible to translate I'm afraid...").
Ask you pets for their opinion.


6 comments:

  1. Sounds like Hungarians have been having pets much longer than Americans to have a word. I always refer to myself as my dog's human.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! I have never been super comfortable with being the "mom" of my dogs because they have perfectly wonderful mom's that gave birth to them! "Owner"'is just too cold and business like for pet companions. Hungarians found just the right term! I'm going to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very useful term :) Which is why I constantly trip up in English when I can't find the equivalent.

      Delete
  3. That's really interesting. What's the special Hungarian term for "furbaby" that's what they seem to call pets over here in Canada. By the way I saw that you signed up for the A to Z Challenge for this year, I'm looking forward to see what you post this year =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think we have a word for "furbaby" - we use per names like "kutyus" (puppy) or "cica" (kitty).
      I am still waiting for people to give me their opinions on what theme to do this year :) But whatever I pick, it will be fun! I made a possible list here:
      http://hungarykum.blogspot.com/2016/01/help-me-pick-mopdog-to-z-theme.html

      Delete