Monday, February 29, 2016

MopDog Monday: Everything but the kitchen... pig?

You know that thing in the kitchen sink that goes KKKRRRRRR and in every horror movie someone puts their hand into it and then there is blood everywhere?
(I blame Supernatural for never ever having one in my own kitchen)

You call it "garbage disposal."

We call it "konyhamalac" - which literally means "kitchen piglet"

(It's the official designation of the appliance)

Incidentally, we also call people "konyhamalac" if they are the designated person in the household who eats the leftovers - and the foods that have been in the fridge for slightly longer than what you are comfortable with but they are completely fine with it. Cast iron stomach. In-house cleaning service. Every household has one (they often double as a boyfriend.)

I was surprised the first time I used the English term "kitchen pig" and got a lot of confused stares from my American friends. I somehow assumed it was a term of American origin - since every time I hear it, I have flashbacks to the Flintstones:


Now, I can't tell if the Hungarian term originated from the Flintstones, or is something completely separate and accidental... but seems like it is here to stay.

4 comments:

  1. Kitchen Pig is too clever. I like it and the Flintstone comic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pig works just fine until he has indigestion and I have to call the plumber. Nice to see the Oscar win for 'Son of Saul'. I look forward to viewing it someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a really cute term. Sometimes that happens with American regionalisms too, even if it's technically all the same language. I was well into adulthood before I discovered certain jargon I'd grown up using, like dippy eggs, is unique to the Pittsburgh area and won't be understood elsewhere. Likewise, it was only a couple of years ago I discovered certain aspects of Pittsburghese are considered bad grammar by other people, like saying "The place they were at" and leaving out the verb "to be" in conjunction with make, like, and want.

    ReplyDelete