Monday, March 21, 2016

The A to Z Challenge Theme Reveal!

Back in January I polled people on this blog (and on social media), asking them what MopDog theme they would most like to read during A to Z. And the public has spoken. They have spoken for the theme that I was secretly hoping for anyway, so, now that all the stars have aligned, and with no further ado...

DRUMROLL

My 2016 MopDog A to Z theme is:

CRAZY HUNGARIAN CARTOONS!

One of Hungary's internationally acclaimed claims to fame is animation. It has a long tradition in the country, and we are darn good at it (well, our animators are. I'm just basking). Hungarian animators worked on such successes as The Secret of Kells, the Mr. Bean animated series, or the Oscar-nominated short film Maestro. At the 1984 Olympiad of Animation in Los Angeles, 2 of the 50 champions and 4 of the 32 finalists were Hungarian. 
(You can find a very detailed History of Hungarian Animation here)

And what is even more important (for the MopDog): Hungarian cartoons are imaginative, funny, crazy, and definitely not very well known in the rest of the world.
This April, I aim to change that. After all, international pop culture simply cannot exist any longer without things like:

... a talking dog in an inflatable spaceship
... an owl doctor who occasionally makes heroin
... a chocoholic flightless bird
... a lab-created Snow White
... gangster rats who are ex-ballet dancers. 
... or this thing:

So.
Here is what's going to happen:

Every day, I will introduce you to a Hungarian animated movie, cartoon series, or puppet/claymation/stopmotion show. The posts will begin with a short pitch-tagline (written by me), tell you what the shows is about, include some pictures and video links, and in the few cases where an English subbed/dubbed version exists, a link to that as well. 
Sadly, most of our classic animated gems have never been circulated in English. This A to Z theme is my attempt at putting the cry out to the Universe: These things are FUN, and I want to gift them to my foreigner friends, so if someone could pick them up for international distribution, that would be great, thank you, and have all my money.

In the meantime, I will supplement the posts with some quotable moments from each cartoon - for all the hipsters out there who wish to throw obscure Eastern European animation references into their everyday conversations. 
You are welcome.

See you on April 1st!

(Also, check out my other theme at The Multicolored Diary today: It's about storytelling, representation, and diversity!)

38 comments:

  1. Pop culture knows no boundaries. I am unfamiliar with the comics in English but by the end of A to Z, I will know the Hungarians ones. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi ATH .. this sounds a great A-Z and we'll all learn from them - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK. Something I know nothing about and I am anxious to read your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh this sounds fun. Looking forward to it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool! Always fun to get some culture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So fun! I look forward to reading (what I can!). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will make sure there will be something useful in each post, even if the videos are not in English ;)

      Delete
  7. LOL! I love cartoons, so I look forward to being introduced to some crazy Hungarian ones :)
    Sophie
    Sophie's Thoughts & Fumbles | Wittegen Press | FB3X

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is cool. I have friend who is into anime/cartoons. Your posts could open up his horizons beyond the borders of the US and Japan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. I do love animation, and Hungary is good at it, so I want other people to know about it too! :)

      Delete
  9. Fun. I can't wait to see the cartoons.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds like a neat theme. I'll be interested to see if you cover any cartoons from the silent or early sound era, given my dinosaur tastes in film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably not many, but Hungarian cartoons from the '70s still look pretty retro... :D

      Delete
  11. A talking dog in an inflatable spaceship? This sounds awesome!Looking forward to following.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow! What a unique, clever and creative theme! I look forward to seeing all of those Hungarian cartoons! See you in 10 days! ~Lori~

    Lori @ As the Fates Would Have It
    Lori @ Promptly Written

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really cool theme! Can't wait to see your April posts!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This could be very fun. I am really looking forward to this!

    Tim Brannan
    The Other Side: The A to Z of Adventure!
    http://theotherside.timsbrannan.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. this excites me. i love seeing shows from other countries. i'm definitely going to enjoy your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wondered what you would come up with this year! Sounds like another winner. Look forward to learning all there is about Hungarian Cartoons.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a feeling you're going to be the only one in the entire challenge with that theme. Very original!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I bet I will be! :D I hope people will like it as much as last year's theme!

      Delete
  18. Admire your blog presentation with the cartoon background. Know you are going to have fun with new readership in April. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The background is ind of an inside joke, the Rubik's Cube is a Hungarian invention...

      Delete
  19. Great theme! I look forward to being able to quote Hungarian cartoons, it's not everyone who can do that!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  20. I didn't know there were so many crazy cartoons from Hungary! This will be interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually surprised how many I could think of just off the top of my head. It made our childhoods awesome :)

      Delete
  21. Good to visit your site as a part of my A to Z visits.
    Welcome to A to Z April Blogging Challenge 2016 - Co-Participant - Nrao
    NRao Blogs - 2016 A to Z Challenge Blog Posts

    ReplyDelete
  22. How fun! I love your theme pick for this year! I'll definitely have to visit throughout April; I'm so curious about what you're going to post! Happy almost April! :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hmm, well that sure sounds fun and crazy enough to appear on your blog, I mean an owl doctor who occasionally makes heroin? come on! that was enough to hook me up :p can't wait to see it all in action, thank you for the participation again this year.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hmm, well that sure sounds fun and crazy enough to appear on your blog, I mean an owl doctor who occasionally makes heroin? come on! that was enough to hook me up :p can't wait to see it all in action, thank you for the participation again this year.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am so happy I found your blog. Honestly, both my grandparents on my mom's side came over to the US from Hungary and I have always love learning about the culture. I have some of my grandmother's beautiful table cloths which I used at my wedding. I can't wait to read!

    ReplyDelete
  26. J here, stopping by from the #atozchallenge - where I am part of Arlee Bird's A to Z Ambassador Team.
    Excellent choice for an A to Z challenge theme. Good job. My theme is the craft of fiction writing. Tips, lessons, and prompts from various writing reference books. I follow it up with a sample of my work.
    Your theme is one I know nothing about, so that should make it interesting! Great to learn new stuff.
    Your Hulk background cracks me up.
    April should be exciting. I'm looking forward to the event. Best of luck to us both on meeting our goals of posting and hopping to other blogs.
    My blog has a giveaway. There's a bonus a to z challenge each day to encourage people to visit more stops.
    http://jlennidornerblog.what-are-they.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very fun theme. Oh, will there be enough hours in the day to squeeze both your blogs in come April. There'd better be. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Figured you'd have something interesting to share with us for the A to Z, looking foward to it :)

    Mars xx
    Mars @TrollbeadBlog from
    Curling Stones for Lego People

    ReplyDelete