Saturday, April 2, 2016

B is for Bears that will drive you insane

In a shocking turn of events, the second cartoon in the lineup is actually a puppet show! Buckle up, oh ye foreigners raised on Sesame Street, we are just getting started...

A family of adorable yet slightly confused puppet bears use puns and repetitive music to defeat the remaining brain cells of sleep-deprived Hungarian parents.
Created between 1987 and 1997, this series is much loved by young children. It features three cute bear cub siblings - Berci, Marci, and Borka (the girl), their parents, and a cast of forest animals from badgers to ravens (and even an immigrant panther who is not treated very kindly).

Most of the show's entertainment value lies in the silly adventures the cubs get into (such as competing in a watermelon contest, or opening a bird feed store and forgetting to stock any bird feed), and the extremely punny language the dialogues are written in. Usually, by the end of the episode, they learn some kind of a lesson about being kind, helping around the house, etc.

And then they sing again.

The show is not generally available online, but I found one video here, and a fuller one here, just to give you a taste. It's actually very cute.
More importantly, I found the theme song!
DISCLAIMER: Alas, this is one of the favorite shows of my little sister. Believe me when I say this: Once you hear the theme song, you are never getting rid of it. Ever.
Proceed at your own risk.

15 comments:

  1. It sounds as adorable and unforgettable as the stories I watched as a child (Kideo, Pumpkin Patch, Wielie Wielie Walie, and others I cannot remember the names of).
    Good luck with the rest of the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd take that over Sesame Street. LOL.
    Reminds me a little of Bananas in Pajamas. My oldest son loved it, but it didn't seem to stay on very long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol I haven't clicked on the theme tune yet, maybe later when I'm feeling braver ;)

    I really liked The Muppets, which I will still watch on occasion, I love the Christmas Carol version which is almost always shown at Christmas time here in the UK.

    Also love the Furry Happy Monsters collaboration with REM - defintiely best puppet song ever!

    Mars xx
    @TrollbeadBlog from
    Curling Stones for Lego People

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! I used to like shows like this when I was at the right age, now? If you wanna drive me bananas just put on something of the sort....and the songs, anything but that!
    Now you reminded me of Barney and Friends, man I HATE Barney!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too XD He only recently appeared in Hungary, and he's awful :D

      Delete
  5. I lasted 30 seconds :) Sometimes childhood shows are just incomprehensible to adults - I remember loving Rainbow, but seeing any of it mostly makes me want to throw things at the screen these days :)
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings (72) | Wittegen Press (74) | FB3X (AC) (75)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heh heh. I'm not brave enough to listen to the theme song. It's bad enough that, like Pavlov's dog, Seasame Street's theme doing started playing in my head at just the mention of the show!

    But the Bears look adorable. And probably so much better than the creepy purple dinosaur my sister adored as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great show for kids (and not fully matured adults, too!)

    Mary
    Twitter: @KnottyMarie
    Literary Gold
    Jingle Jangle Jungle

    ReplyDelete
  8. My daughters still love anything bear. Except for that one that shredded Leonardo DiCaprio in Reverent.

    I’m exploring different types of dreams and their meanings during the #AtoZChallenge at Stephen Tremp’s Breakthrough Blogs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bears are so cute
    @CazsBooks
    http://cazgreenham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a show I would enjoy. I spend all day watching children's TV as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds colorful like the image; since I don't understand Hungarian, I don't think there is danger of an earworm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting song! I don't understand a word of it, so I doubt it'll stay in my head. One of the most famous American kids' show earworms is the one from some show years ago "This is the song that doesn't end, it just goes on and on my friend, some people started singing it not knowing what it was and they'll just keep on singing it forever just because this is the song that doesn't end..." Gets stuck in your head for DAYS!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I see why your sister loved it, the bears are adorable. Oh and that song is long, oh so long. Do children really have the patience to sit though it?
    I didn't understand a word but it is catchy!
    @freya3377 from Life as Freya - http://blog.fatema.in/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi there!

    I’m stopping by from the #AtoZChallenge. Cute idea for a show.

    I have two blogs in this challenge…my author blog at THE STORY CATCHER (www.donnalmartin.com) and my KICKS Kids Club blog (www.kickskidsclub.blogspot.com) . If you get a chance, check them out and good luck with the challenge!

    Donna L Martin

    ReplyDelete